Intro to web servers
Intro to Web Servers (Part 1) – go from basic computer to full web server in about an hour
Course will cover basic concepts in addition to practical hands-on experience.
Topics we will gloss over:
- basic networking and the internet
- what a web server is
- server / client relationship
- Running a web server from your house for fun and maybe profit.
- Installing Apache web server a couple different ways
- Basic configuring and customizing your web server
- We will go over a few modifications(mods) to install on to you machine to optimize your web sites performance.
- What’s a domain and how to get one and get it working with your web server
dynamic and static domains will be covered
- How to serve up pages and files
A windows/OSX/ Linux laptop with VMware server/ player installed ( I can not provide this as it is against licencing ) In the class you will be provided with a pre-made virtual install of ubuntu server 8.10 It is suggested to have a basic understanding of computers and the linux operating system, regardless you’ll no doubt learn something.